What Questions Should Sunshine Coast Homeowners Ask Before Buying Solar Panels?
12 Questions To Ask Before Purchasing Solar Panels
Sometimes we’ll come across a customer who isn’t too sure how solar panels work or what questions to ask us, their installer. There’s no shame in not knowing what to ask, that’s why we’re here!
Here are a few essential questions you should ask your installer before purchasing solar panels. Make sure you are getting the information you need so you know exactly what to expect from your new solar system.
1. What is the estimated daily, monthly and annual production in kWh of my system in its installation position?
Asking this question will ensure you are aware of the capacity your system will generate. It will also make sure you and the installer understand where the panels will be positioned (the installer should have taken into account any shaded spots on your roof).
2. What is the estimated solar electricity production in the best and worst months?
Knowing the answer to this question will mean you’ll never be surprised by low production months. Keep in mind unexpected circumstances like bad weather can reduce your production.
3. Who will service and maintain my solar system?
Your installer should offer this or give you an address and contact details in writing of someone local who can clean and maintain your system.
4. What are the responsibilities of each party?
Understand what each party is responsible for, including the installer, manufacturer and yourself.
5. What is the process for connecting your solar PV system to the electricity grid?
Who is responsible. Energex or your electricity supplier. When will it happen? How long does it normally take?
6. Who is responsible for your meter change?
Make sure this is clarified. Energex or your electricity supplier. When will it happen? How long does it normally take? What happens in the meantime.
7. Ask how the installer will credit your solar incentive (STCs)?
Understanding your rebates early on will save a lot of hassle later on. Most Solar installers offer the rebate as an upfront discount off the price so the client only pays the after incentive price.Our typical customer in the Sunshine Coast comes to us with a million questions about our solar panels and our installation processes. We love answering these questions because it’s important that a new solar owner understands their system in order to get the most out of it.
8. Get a detailed hand over manual.
Make sure you have a manual in case you need to deal with a different company in the future or you need your exact model number. It is also important to get in writing the various component warranties including installer workmanship guarantee, schedule of when deposits and final payments are due.
9. Who is responsible for the Warranty and ask the difference between the performance warranty and the product warranty.
Some companies state the 25-year performance warranty in their advertising when they know the performance warranty it is a difficult warranty to claim on. In reality, the most robust and claimable warranty is the product warranty.
10. Does the company offer an installation warranty?
Some offer a 5-year installation warranty others offer longer
11. How long has the company been going?
Do an ABN lookup any company online
12. Is the company a Clean energy council approved retailer.
This means they are a signatory to the Solar Code of Conduct one of the measures of a quality company.
Want to Keep This List?
These questions are actually part of the SolarWide/LG Beginner’s Guide to Solar eBook.
The eBook is 17 pages full of information, tips and things to avoid when it comes to solar. It’s useful for anyone looking to purchase solar panels for their rooftop.
Keep these 12 questions handy as you research and enquire about solar panels in the Sunshine Coast area.